Why Vote Labour
In the May 2016 local elections, Labour became the party with the largest number of seats on Stockport Council and has retained control of the Council in 2019. Since taking over the running of the Council, we have worked hard with local people to make life better for everyone. Look at some of our achievements below – support Labour and we can continue making Stockport an even better place to live, learn and work.
Labour is delivering for Stockport
Here are 10 ways we’re delivering for the people of Stockport.
- Scrapped the plan to move Stockport Market and invested over £7million in the Market and Underbank regeneration
- Cut spending on the Stockport Review newspaper to protect frontline services
- Found additional money for adult social care to protect the elderly and most vulnerable
- Pledged to safeguard local parks and green spaces and given them a major £708,000 cash boost
- Agreed £2.8 million to bring Grand Central Leisure back into full use alongside another £2.1 million for leisure centres around Stockport
- Commissioned a review of road safety around schools, with £450,000 of funding for improvements
- Launched Stockport’s first council-owned housing partnership, Viaduct, in March 2017. Viaduct is already building the affordable homes residents need.
- Started an ambitious £18 million project to upgrade street lighting; using LED lamps to save money, cut CO2 emissions and improve night-time safety
- Agreed a £25 million programme for school repairs and additional places
- Worked towards a better-connected Stockport – through Stockport’s ambitious town centre access plan, completing phase 2 of Stockport Exchange, and signing off plans for a new £42 million transport exchange